- Eat nutritious foods that are high in calories. Examples are whole-grain breads, vegetables such as avocados and potatoes, kidney beans, lean red meat, poultry and fish.
- Increase the caloric value of your meals. Add powdered milk to casseroles for added calories, add avocados and olives to sandwiches, add wheat germ to your cereal, add chopped meat to your pasta sauce, and so on.
- Avoid skipping meals. Knowing how to gain weight involves consistent eating. Eat three meals a day and at least two snacks.
- Choose higher-calorie foods when given a choice. For example, corn is higher in calories than green beans.
- Relax – excessive fidgeting and restlessness can burn up a lot of calories.
- Add weight lifting to your exercise program. It helps build muscle mass.
- Balance your caloric intake with the number of calories you’re burning. You need to be taking in more than you use up, and you may need to ease up a little on your exercise program.
Tips & Warnings
- You should have a doctor rule out any physical problems, such as hormonal imbalances, if you cannot seem to put on any weight. A doctor might have other recommendations on how to gain weight, too.
- Although it seems like a logical way to bulk up, avoid adding excess fat and sweets to your diet. Eat fats and oils in moderation; they should account for no more than 30 percent of your total caloric intake
Now coming down to Ayurvedic medicines:
- Khushmanda avaleha – 1 tsp twice daily with a cup of warm milk before bed and early in tghe morning empty stomach has a wonderful result.This should be done atleast for a month.this will also increase the heamoglobin percentage in the blood.
- Swamala compound a leha of doothpapeshwar company works wonders over the mal-nourished body.Even this should be taken spoon ful early morning or just before food with a cup of milk for best result.this should be take for atleast 1 month.
- Ashwagandhavaleha-this one more type of avaleha which helps as a general tonic and given even better reults in men.May be taken with warm water or milk.
- Chavan prash-This is also a very good leha.Method of intake is same as other.It has many dry fruits,amla[gooseberry and many medicinal roots].Best for emaciation caused as a result of some chronic diseases.
- Draksharista- 3tsp of this should be taken with equal amount of boiled and cooled water with a drop of honey thrice a day for atleast 1 month.
- Ashwaganda choorna may be taken with ghee or honey or even milk thrice daily.
Thus there are many more Aushadha /medicines in Ayurveda for this or any other problems.