Knowing how to quit drinking, whether it be for yourself or for somebody you know is the key to eliminating alcohol successfully from a person’s life. The ways to quit drinking basically have to do with seeking and getting professional help apart from having a firm support system in place. People who have a drinking problem are faced with three stark choices. They will drink themselves to death; their irresponsible behavior will see them institutionalized or imprisoned or they can decide to clean up their act. In each of these cases the end result is that one quits drinking. Now as to which course of action one would select depends upon one?s circumstances and mental pre-disposition.
A vital first step on the road to giving up drinking is identifying the reasons that make one consider giving up drinking. Things like health related problems, career, family and social issues or any other issues that one knows will get resolved if one were to give up drinking. It would be a good idea to prepare a list from these and paste copies of it at strategic places like the refrigerator, the bathroom shaving mirror or any other similar place. What this does is keeps one motivated to stay away from drinks and drinking.
Second, one could make out a plan for gradually reducing the intake of liquor to the point that one quits drinking. This makes it easier for hardened drinkers to gradually ease themselves out of a long ingrained habit. While one is at it, one must monitor progress, and not get duly perturbed by the occasional lapse. The main reason for success is perseverance.
It is very possible that one may often not be able to give up drinking on their own. In such cases it is prudent to consult a doctor, because once a person has become an alcoholic, he is suffering from a disease which only medical treatment can cure. One thing that is critically important is the fact that one needs to possibly change one?s lifestyle to a sensible one. If that means that one should quit associating with certain people like one?s former drinking buddies, or quit being in social situations which require drinking one should go ahead and make those changes.
One could also consider joining support groups like Alcoholics Anonymous who can be a great help in motivating one to quit, especially when all its members are or have been in a similar situation and therefore in a position to offer insightful help. And lastly when one has cleaned up one?s act, one owes it to oneself to stay resolute and not fall back to the old ways. If that means learning to say no to old friends and acquaintances, one should do so. The gains that coming out of a state of sapping alcoholism accrue to a person came after a lot of hard work and sacrifice. One owes it to oneself to fight tooth and nail to preserve those gains.
If you want to know how to quit taking alcohol, then take note of the vast array of benefits that you will experience:
- Alcohol cessation will help you in getting a better immune system. It will reduce your health problems and prevent problems like liver damage.
- In case you are pregnant, your baby will grow in a safer and better environment.
- Alcohol consumption usually affects personal relationships. Therefore you will be safe from family rejection and your family will be able to enjoy you more.
- Erasing alcohol from your life will help you in increasing your productivity both at home and in the office.
- It will improve your focus and you will start to enjoy reading and studying again, and you will once again return to training your brain.
- On the whole people who drink alcohol proceed to drive their vehicle without contemplating the dangers of drink driving. If you quit drinking alcohol, you will not get into any drink drive related legal trouble.
There are many hospitals and organizations that help you to cut down on or quit the consumption of alcohol. They will provide you with the knowledge regarding what it does to your body and also give you emotional support as soon as you have quit drinking. This applies especially if you abuse alcohol or you are completely dependent on alcohol.
Most of the time, the groups in such organizations comprise of people who have had an alcohol related problem in their past. Even though they are at the forefront, your identity remains anonymous. At times these groups provide you with psychologists and other health professionals to make your treatment as effective as possible. You can even choose to talk to them by phone, if you don’t feel ready to attend their support programs.
- Fruit juices are very effective in lowering the effects of alcoholism. For removing the effects of a hangover, the juice of a lemon or orange will be very effective. Eating an apple or banana helps to flush out the toxins from the body which collect due to alcoholism.
- Both grapes and dates are very beneficial in reducing the urge to consume alcohol. If alcoholics are kept on a diet of only grapes for a couple of weeks, then most likely the temptation to drink will be totally gone.
- Introduce many other drinks in the person’s diets so that the craving for the alcoholic drink is reduced.
- When the person feels the urge to consume alcohol, having a glass of carrot juice will help to reduce the temptation.